Douglas Miniatures Logo

Douglas Miniatures Logo

Sunday 14 May 2017

Project Battle Cry - Antietam, with Airfix figures!

Having assembled and painted just about enough figures I decided to give a battle from the rule book a go. I chose Antietam as it looked interesting and challenging and I had the right scenery and troops. Here is the set up from the rule book:
Using a five inch hex board (cloth) this is how the initial dispostions appeared:

By the way, I made a small mistake on the position of the woods on the far left!

The battle would be won by the first side to score 6 Victory Points (VP). At first I was a bit sceptical as the board looked empty and I wondered how such an epic battle could be represented with so few troops. The Union had first move with four activation cards, while the Confederates had six cards (this would prove crucial towards the end).

The Union commander decided to play his left hand activation cards, reasoning that he would need to get his forces over the bridge before the Confederates had time to consolidate a full defence on the hills that dominate the far bank. Antietam Creek can crossed only by the bridge. So playing an attack card he moved two units, battled and fired his artillery:


The confederate unit on the heights was badly mauled and forced back, but not destroyed. The Union move forced the Confederate hand and they countered by playing their best card on this flank, moving a new unit on to the heights and the following musketry destroyed the lead Union unit - one VP to the Confederates. After more movement on this flank both sides had used up their activation cards, with the confederates still holding off the Union forces.

In the next move the action shifts over to the centre and Union right, as the blue columns begin to deploy into battle lines and advance. Meanwhile the Confederates strengthen the defence of the 'sunken road ridge', in the real battle known as 'Bloody Lane'.


At this point the Confederate cavalry carry out a 'hit and run' on the Union right, damaging and then forcing a blue unit to retreat:


The Confederates also move a Texan unit towards the fields in support of a unit already there, and to engage the Union advancing line:
However, the Union forces assault and force the Confederates out of the field and destroy the advancing Texans - one VP to the Union.

The Confederates now play an attack on both flanks. By the bridge they force a Union unit back, containing that threat, while on the left around the field a combined cavalry and infantry attack halts the Union advance around the fields and forces a damaged unit to retreat:

The Union now plays a counter attack card, which forces the rebels off the heights overlooking Antietam Creek and allows them to capture the bridge once more, however they are unable to exploit further. Meanwhile, back in the area of the fields the action continues with a Union counter move, forcing the confederate infantry and supporting artillery back.

On the next move the Confederates play a 'Battle and Hold card, which destroys one unit in the field area and another in the centre, suddenly the Confederates have three VP and have blunted the Union attack.

On the next move the Union plays a reinforce card, which allows them to control the Dunker Church and forces a Confederate unit back.

There is now a lull for the Confederates as they deperately want to bring  A P Hill's forces, still in the area of Sharpsburg, into play, so this move sees these columns moving onto the field, towards the bridge:

This move sees a major push on the Union right in an attmpt to dislodge the Confederate line in the Sunken Lane. The Union succeeds and destroys one Confederate unit and forces two back, gaining another VP:

However, the Confederates counter attack the now weakened Union units and destroy two units and sverely damage another gaining two more VPs. The Union now makes a fatal mistake and advances against the ridge, but this leaves their forces unable to fire at the Confederates beyond, and leaves a severly weakened unit exposed to Confederate artillery fire. The guns fire, destroy the Union unit and it is all over, the Confederate have six VPs. The final score is 6 - 4 to the Confederates.

I thought the Union would win this action, but failure to get across the bridge over Antietam Creek and the stout Confederate defence from Dunker Church and the Sunken Lane wore down the Union units. This seemed to mirror the real battle, which saw fierce fighting in the same areas.

I really enjoyed this battle and usinig a large table with model figures was much more pleasing than the playing board, small units and card scenery that come with the game. I will certainly have another go in the future.








17 comments:

  1. Great!! I´ll have to copy the church and the Chevaux de frise idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul. The chevaux de frise come from the Revell ACW pioneer set. I only used them as I have not made up any snake fences yet that would fit the hex size.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,
    Certainly the best presented AIRFIX armies I have ever seen- well done! By the way- my first ever toy soldiers were AIRFIX Union- that would have been around 1966. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not sure about the best! Try looking at Paul's Bods blog - they are lovely. I think I got my first Union troops at around that time too; my brother received some Confederates. This marked our wargaming beginnings.

      Delete
  4. A hard fought battle. Good to see BC out and about. Will there be more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will, although I have some painting to do having spent the last few weeks setting up and fighting battles. I would like to play a mini BC campaign of the three days of Gettysburg. Days two and three are in the rule book, but I will have to track down a day one scenario. I would add up all the points at the end to see who wins overall. I also want to try out a Command and Colors game using the same terrain.

      Delete
  5. I've had a few games of Battlecry and often daydreamed about transferring it to the tabletop with 20mm plastic ACW like you have done here. Fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful looking game with iconic figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, Bob. Could there possibly be anything more nostalgic then Airfix ACW? Beautifully done, as always

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob is that a Corsec Engineering hex mat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John, no it is a Hotz mat (www.hotzmats.com) with 5 inch hex and random field over printed. I think they are based in Canada, but do mail order.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob are you getting me confused with John C?
    I have a fleece mat from Corsec Engineering with 6" hexes, intended for CandC based action for my Georland stuff but I need a bit more research time - I really need to read through the Georland Journal again to help design the cards to give it either a specific Georland or specifically FPW flavour. Would like to have a Crimean variant too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi again John, apologies for any confusion.
    I had not heard of Corsec Engineering mats, but having visited their site they look good and seem reasonably priced. I also took a look at your blog, what a wonderful collection of figures you have for your Geoland battles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No problem. But I'm still not called John...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, apologies. Please put it down to my age - I will do better next time! Bob


      Delete
  13. I am always fascinated by the way others present their Airfix armies. Your are very attractively presented - just asking to be led into table top action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; I like the toy soldier look, although I have seen some superb examples painted in a more realistic matt style with shading. I do wonder how much longer these Airfix figures will be around. Quite a high number of mine are beginning to crumble as they go brittle with age.

      Delete